Outpatient Clinic Psychiatric Nurse Practitioner
Opening for a board certified Outpatient Clinic Nurse Practitioner who will assume medication management of specific patients in collaboration with a physician.
Follow established nursing, medical and nurse practitioner?s standards, procedures, protocols and practices, and give specific patient care directions to nursing and other staff.
- Confer with physician(s) concerning assigned patients. Keep physician(s) and Director of Behavioral Services informed, as is appropriate, of needs and problems related to patient care.
- Comply with established nursing standards. Implement and maintain established department/ unit/hospital policies, procedures, objectives, quality improvement, safety, environmental and infection control. Interpret these to physician, patients, public as is appropriate. Utilize supplies and equipment in a cost-effective manner. Maintain a clean, orderly, safe environment for patients and personnel.
- Cooperate with other personnel to achieve department objectives and maintain good employee relations, interdepartmental relations and public relations. Maintain patient rights and confidentiality of patient information, and abide by established communications code.
- Attend required meetings, in services, educational programs.
- Maintain professional growth and development through seminars, workshops, and professional affiliations.
- Consult with physician(s) concerning patient evaluation. Receive assigned patients and orient them to hospital/unit environment. Instruct patients and families and answer questions.
- Provide diagnostic and assessment services: Secure a health history from patient and/or family, record findings and critically evaluate them. Perform a complete in-depth mental health examination. Requisition laboratory tests and x-ray examinations when appropriate.
- Provide therapeutic services: Confer with other health care providers to prepare a comprehensive patient care plan. Identity and manage the care of the patient according to established protocols and with collaboration of a physician.
- Provide surveillance of medication regimens for patients, adjust medications within established protocols and recognize when to refer patient to a physician or other health care provider. Refer complex patient care problems to a physician for assessment and advice. Give direct physical and psychological nursing care in emergencies, as well as in the presence of illness or disability in order to maintain life, provide comfort, reduce stress and enhance a patient?s coping ability. Collaboratively work with other health agencies and families of patients in the physical and emotional transitions of admission, care, and discharge
- Provide preventative health care services to patients. Teach patients and family members ways to improve or maintain their mental health status. Participate in formal and informal patient-teaching activities aimed at promoting positive health practices and an understanding of the individual?s medical problem.
- Arrange consultations and referrals: initiate requests for consultation or referral. Respond to requests from patient, physician or nursing staff. Examine patient and record, and discriminate between normal and abnormal findings, to recognize early stages of serious physical, emotional, or mental problems, and determine when to refer the patient to a physician for evaluation.
- Maintain required unit records, reports, statistics. Maintain accurate patient records, charts, documentation for administrative purposes and reimbursement for services.
- Perform other duties as directed/required.
Graduate of an accredited school of nursing. Completion of an accredited program for nurse practitioners including preceptorship with NYS certification. Registration and current RN license. CPR update. Sufficient previous experience as staff nurse. Ability to work collaboratively with physicians and other health care providers.Compensation and Benefits:
This offers a highly competitive compensation and comprehensive benefits package along with a dedicated commitment to maintaining work/life balance for our providers. Listed below are just a few highlights of the position?s compensation and benefits package
- Competitive salary
- Sign-on bonus
- Paid time off
- Comprehensive benefits package including health, dental, vision, retirement, life and disability
- Relocation assistance (if applicable)
- Student loan repayment (if applicable)
- Malpractice paid for by Oswego Health
- Brand new, 32 bed, $17 million behavioral health services facility to be complete in 2020!!!
This is the sole community hospital provider in Oswego County and provides the region with healthcare services from birth to maturity. Dedicated medical staff of more than 150 physicians, representing over 35 specialties. The hospital serves as a catchment area for over 89,000 residents and includes a state of the art ER, ICU with 8 private rooms, Maternity Center with private labor delivery rooms and soaking tubs, 7 Suite Surgery Center, Full Service Laboratory, Medical Imaging (offering CT, MRI, Ultrasound, Bone Densitometry, Fluoroscopy, X-ray, Digital Mammography, and Nuclear Medicine), Cardio-Pulmonary Testing, Cardiac Rehabilitation Program, Hospice Program & more.
Oswego, New York Background: Located in New York State?s ?Central? region, Oswego offers small city living with close proximity to many large metropolitan areas. Oswego's location on Lake Ontario and its four distinct seasons offer endless opportunities for boating, sailing and other water sports as well as many cultural events, festivals and family activities throughout the year. Oswego County elementary and high schools offer advanced learning curriculum standards and prepare students to excel as they pursue higher education opportunities. In addition to great primary schools, Oswego County is home to SUNY Oswego and Cayuga Community College, the former of which was recently named by USA Today as one of the nation?s ?Best College Values? and by the Princeton Review as a ?Top College in the Northeast.?