Physician Assistant- Family Medicine
Essential Duties and Major Responsibilities:
• Provides primary care services to individuals and families across the lifespan.
• Provides and manages direct patient care, including physical examinations, evaluations, assessments, diagnoses and treatment for a specified patient population.
• Assesses patient's physical and psychosocial health/illness status through history taking and physical examination.
• Diagnoses, manages, and appropriately refers patients with acute, episodic, or chronic illness according to proper protocols.
• Prescribes pharmaceuticals, other medications, and treatment regimens as appropriate to assessed medical conditions.
• Refers patients to specialists and to relevant patient care components as appropriate.
• Directs and coordinates the patient care activities of nursing and support staff as required.
• Follows established departmental policies, procedures, and objectives, continuous quality improvement objectives, and safety, environmental, and/or infection control standards.
• As appropriate to the position, participates in specified health promotion, education and/or prevention programs.
• Orders appropriate laboratory and diagnostic tests according to established guidelines.
• Facilitates and coordinates patient care referrals to specialists and outside agencies
• Develops and provides educational materials and/or programs to patients, families, and other health care professionals at the Center.
• Participates in defining nursing standards, practices, and educational needs of patient care staff
• Ability to observe, assess, and record symptoms, reactions, and progress.
• Knowledge of legal and ethical standards for the delivery of medical care.
• Knowledge of relevant drugs and non-pharmaceutical patient care aids and ability to prescribe dosages and instruct patients in correct usage.
• Ability to maintain quality, safety, and/or infection control standards.
• Knowledge of community medical diagnostic and patient care services in area of medical expertise.
• Knowledge of current principles, methods and procedures for the delivery of medical evaluation, diagnosis and treatment in area of expertise.
• May share call responsibilities of the service.
• Manual skills required include good eye and hand coordination in combination with finger dexterity for administration of injections, treatments, etc. Good color vision is required for perceiving changes in skin color and colors of medicines, solutions, etc.
• Effective verbal and written communication skills.
• Ability to work both independently and in a team
• Actively participates in the quality assurance program.
• Serves on appropriate committees.
• Managing patient care is a team effort that involves clinical and non-clinical staff interacting with patients.
• Demonstrates understanding and commitment to the established CHC Values and Standards
• Other job-related duties as assigned.
• Massachusetts Licensed Physician Assistant
• Certified in Massachusetts to practice in the expanded role as a Physician Assistant.